NOTICE OF JOB VACANCY
POSTING NUMBER: #21-01
An opportunity currently exists in the Reference Department for a part-time position of Librarian Trainee/Librarian. Applicants who meet the requirements below may apply.
Title: Librarian Trainee / Librarian
Issue Date: October 5, 2021
Compensation: $25.00/hr (Trainee) / $28.44/hr (Librarian)
Location: Westfield Memorial Library, Reference Department
The Westfield Memorial Library is seeking an energetic and customer-service oriented individual to join the Reference Department. The successful applicant should have a demonstrated capacity to deal effectively and courteously with the public and to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers.
- Answers a wide range of reference questions of varying degree of difficulty.
- Instructs patrons in the effective use of print and online resources, downloadable collections, and library technology.
- Recommends the acquisition of library materials according to the unit or section assigned, taking into consideration community needs and budget limitations.
- Reviews and weeds library collections of books, and other assigned materials utilizing the library weeding guidelines.
- Prepares reading lists and bibliographies for public distribution.
- May assist in programs such as tours, book discussions, film programs, computer classes, and other public events.
- Conducts or prepares the content and arrangement of library materials for displays, exhibits, and library programs.
- Exchanges ideas, information, and opinions with Department Head to formulate policies, procedures, and programs in relation to work assignments for improvements to the library.
- May select materials and prepare them for delivery for the “Books-On-Wheels” program.
- Handles special projects as assigned by the Department Head.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Strong computer experience, including knowledge of Microsoft Office, social media, and other relevant online platforms is desired. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required. Current enrollment in an ALA-accredited MLS program (Librarian Trainee) or master’s degree from an ALA-accredited MLS program (Librarian) is required.
Schedule consists of approximately 10-12 hours per week including a regular evening, and alternating Saturdays.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees must comply with the “New Jersey First Act”.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three (3) references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until the position(s) are filled.