An opportunity currently exists at Westfield Memorial Library for the position Head of Technology and Technical Services. Applicants who meet the requirements below may apply.
Title: Head of Technology and Technical Services
Issue Date: October 4, 2022
Compensation: Minimum starting salary is $73,440-$93,440, negotiable based on experience.
Location: Westfield Memorial Library, Technology and Technical Services Department
The Westfield Memorial Library seeks an imaginative, resourceful, inventive, and customer-focused librarian to lead the Technology and Technical Services Department. The successful candidate will possess strong analytical skills, a public services outlook, and a commitment to adopting advancements in technology to make the library’s user experience seamless.
The Head of Technology and Technical Services will serve as the library’s technical lead as the library migrates from a local, stand-alone ILS to a new, cloud-based ILS and membership in a regional library consortium beginning in mid-2023.
The successful candidate will display an aptitude for project management, and an eagerness to implement objectives of the library’s 2021-2024 strategic plan, including the possible implementation of RFID tagging, expansion of self-checkout kiosks, a STEM-based mobile or brick and mortar makerspace, and coordination of group and individual technology training to the residents of Westfield.
Westfield Memorial Library is a county leader in public library service, with a reputation for providing high quality materials, programming, and information services to Westfield’s 30,000 residents. The library is supported through municipal funding, and generous contributions by the Friends of the Library, and the Library Foundation.
The Town of Westfield is frequently listed as one of the best places to live in New Jersey, including a 2022 report from Niche, which gave Westfield an A+ and named it the best place to live in Union County.
Noted for its beautiful downtown, lovely and diverse housing, excellent school system, and varied commuting options to New York City, Westfield offers its residents the best of friendly small-town living influenced by the sophistication of New York City. Westfield’s historic downtown is a mix of locally owned specialty stores and well-known national retailers. Downtown is the scene for popular year-round events, attracting visitors of all ages.
The Town of Westfield has a very active and engaged population, and recent work by the Town’s Green Team and Human Relations Advisory Committee (HRAC) have demonstrated Westfield’s commitment to both environmental sustainability, and inclusiveness.
- Create a customer-driven, collaborative, positive, productive, and professional environment that delivers high-quality technology and technical services that are responsive to the needs of patrons and staff.
- Coordinate the work of the Technology and Technical Services Department and supervise department staff, including the senior IT specialist, a part-time librarian, library assistants, and pages.
- Serve as a member of the library leadership team and contribute to strategic, long-range, and operational planning, program development and evaluation, resource development, budgeting, and allocation of resources in support of the library’s mission and goals.
- Build collaborative relationships with staff in a highly responsive and supportive environment based on customer-first initiatives.
- Analyze system service requirements and recommend changes to improve operational efficiency and/or better serve the needs of the customer.
- Respond to public and staff inquiries and facilitate the timely resolution of issues.
- Represent the library to and interact with community groups, outside organizations, and the public; build and maintain positive community partnerships in Westfield, Union County, and the state of New Jersey.
- Manage vendor relationships and contractual agreements related to the technology and technical services department.
- Stay apprised of contemporary issues, trends and developments in technology, technical services, and public library services.
- Engage with staff, patrons, residents, and community partners to explore and implement creative uses of technology that enhance search, learning, and training for all.
- Works closely with the Senior IT Specialist to develop and maintain technological infrastructure and support future technology initiatives and digital services.
- Coordinate public and staff technology training, in collaboration with other library personnel.
- Provide support to staff in the development and execution of STEM and maker programs.
- Implement goals and objectives of the library’s 2022-2023 technology plan and make recommendations for future updates to the plan.
- Supervise staff responsible for cataloging and processing of new materials in all formats following national and local standards; the preparation of acquisition invoices for payment; and other responsibilities within technical services.
- Collaborate with consortium partners to ensure compliance with consortium policies and best practices.
- Coordinate the purchasing and receiving of both physical and digital collection materials.
- Communicate with vendors as needed regarding products, services, and payments.
- Supervise the withdrawal of materials from the library’s collection in accordance with library policies.
- Master’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association (ALA).
- Demonstrated interest in motivating and leading library staff.
- Demonstrated effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience analyzing and adapting services, spaces, or technologies to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment that continually enhances the user experience.
- Proven ability to take initiative, prioritize work to meet deadlines, and work both independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and assess emerging trends.
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development.
The Head of Technology and Technical Services is a full-time position with a 35-hour work week, typically Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm. Work schedule is subject to change according to the needs of the library, including evening hours and weekends.
Compensation and Benefits
- Minimum starting salary is $73,440-$93,440, and negotiable based on experience.
- Benefits include paid holidays, paid vacation, paid sick leave, excellent health benefits, and enrollment in the PERS pension system.
Equal Opportunity Employer. Employees must comply with the “New Jersey First Act”.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately. The deadline to apply is November 1, 2022.